Wednesday 28 December 2022

Auntie Margaret


We have this exact photo framed and on our wall in the hall - with the Great Dame's autograph beneath. [click to embiggen]

It's our Patron Saint Dame Maggie's birthday today! All hail.

Another opportunity for a little "recycling", methinks.

From a post I did way back in 2013, featuring her early star vehicle Travels With My Aunt:

To my chagrin, I have never yet seen the entire movie. I was too young for the original cinematic release, and don't recall it ever appearing on TV over here. However from the meagre evidence I have seen, Dame Maggie Smith appears to be having a field day, camping it up as "Aunt Augusta"...

Many happy returns, Dame Margaret Natalie Smith CH DBE (born 28th December 1934)

11 comments:

  1. I was in high school when my girlfriend and I saw her in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I have loved her ever since, although I never got her autograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "La crème de la crème!" She delivered that line so deliciously... Jx

      Delete
  2. Terrific! I want to see the whole film now as I've never seen this one either. Maggie is superb!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly never seen Dame Maggie in a naff role - conversely, whatever she's in is immeasurably improved by her presence. Jx

      Delete
  3. 1972 was to early for me to see it in the cinema too and like you I don't remember having seen but I think we must

    Aunt Augusta: Steward! More champagne.
    Steward: But we're just about to land.
    Aunt Augusta: Then you'll have to hurry, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kind of film! We must see if it's on DVD for a future "Film Club" gathering. Jx

      Delete
  4. Though Maggie doesn't know how to give a bad performance I am quite partial to The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never saw that, either - a rather "fraught" performance, I am led to believe... Jx

      Delete
  5. One of Graham Greene's books that I do love. And Smith was an inspired choice for the Aunt. Best opening line ever!(not going do it here-go find the film.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on the hunt for the DVD as we speak. Jx

      Delete
  6. Adore this woman. She can do no wrong...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]