Sunday 25 December 2022

This is my church. This is where I heal my hurt

We've enjoyed listening to the fantabulosa Paul O'Grady back on the radio again. The (gulp!) King's Speech has been delivered. The dinner's starting to digest. We're swilling in a combination of sherry, port and gin.

Time for something a bit energetic to blow out all the cobwebs, and burn off a few of those roast spuds!

With the sad news of the death of the "godfather of hands-in-the-air trance anthems" Maxi Jazz, the charismatic lead singer of Faithless, what else can we do but turn the volume up to eleven - and rave on?!!

This is my church
This is where I heal my hurt
It's a natural grace
Of watching young life shape
It's in minor keys
Solutions and remedies
Enemies becoming friends
When bitterness ends
This is my church

This is my church
This is where I heal my hurt
It's in the world I become
Content in the hum
Between voice and drum
It's in change
The poetic justice of cause and effect
Respect, love, compassion
This is my church
This is where I heal my hurt
For tonight
God is a DJ
This is my church

RIP, Maxi Jazz (born Maxwell Fraser, 14th June 1957 – 23rd December 2022)

14 comments:

  1. I think I’ve been nursing a hangover all day. (It doesn’t take much.) This is where I heal my hurt is wonderful poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The poetic justice of cause and effect", indeed. Jx

      PS I don't get many hangovers. I'm rarely sober enough...

      Delete
  2. I love Faithless, especially Insomnia. I'm sorry to hear about Maxi

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOD IS A DJ - was my anthem for a bit. Sorry to hear about Maxi. Thanks for sharing this. Enjoy your rave, my dear. Kizzes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rave's over, in favour of a nice sit down. Several decades have flowed under the bridge since I would go clubbing till the wee small hours, "content in the hum between voice and drum", then roll in on a night bus and still get up for work the next day! Unfortunately. Jx

      Delete
  4. The King's speech! It made the news here, but I didn't listen, sweetpea. Happy Christmas to all y'all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could never be the same, but he did a very good job... Jx

      Delete
  5. I watched the start of the Sydney-Hobart race.Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad losses this year - it becomes overwhelming.
    I have been on a jolly good bottle of Port this year. Out like a light every night!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working to restore the "Book of the Dead" that I lost during the data crash the other week - it certainly has been a year of huge losses!

      We've been swigging the Port quite a bit, too. Probably just as well, because it would be shame to waste it - found a half-finished bottle from last Festering Season, and it was undrinkable. Jx

      Delete
  7. It was Bona to have the fantabulosa Paul O'Grady back on the Wireless again.
    It was a fab show with loads of mega guest appearances. He gave the BBC The old two fingered salute good and proper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BBC Radio 2 has forgotten who their listeners really are. It's almost as if anything before the 1960s didn't exist. Good for Boom Radio in its valiant effort to provide something for people who aren't actually fans of hip-hop, country and pop, and have memories that go back further than the 1990s (with honourable mentions for Jazz FM and Serenade Radio, too). Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]