Monday 12 December 2022

Rompin', stompin', pumpin', jumpin', slidin', glidin'


We've had six inches, and that's just the start of it...

The Big Freeze continues - we haven't had temperatures above freezing for days, and the combination of four consecutive nights hitting -5C, freezing fog, and now snow has seen off swathes of our pot-grown specimens. And there's no end in sight.

Hey ho. As the Madame said over at her blog: "...we will just have to wait and see, get the seed catalogues out and replace the dead in the Spring where we need to. Our garden is due for a rethink so this will be a good time to do it."

On this Tacky Music Monday, as I decide whether or not to venture to the office, let's cheer ourselves up with a sunny trip to the beach(!) - and a choon I described back in 2017 thus:

"...the faintly-ridiculous-yet-forever-remembered "barn-dance" song 5, 6, 7, 8 [which remains one of the biggest-selling songs never to have actually hit the Top 10 in our charts]".

My boot-scootin' baby is drivin' me crazy
My obsession from a western
My dance-floor date
My rodeo Romeo
A cowboy god from head to toe
Wanna make you mine?
Better get in line
5-6-7-8

Foot kickin'
Finger clickin',
Leather slapping
Hand clappin'

Hip bumpin'
Music thumpin'
Knee hitchin'
Heel and toe

Floor scuffin'
Leg shufflin'
Big grinnin'
Body spinnin'

Rompin', stompin', pumpin', jumpin', slidin', glidin',
Here we go

My boot-scootin' baby is drivin' me crazy
My obsession from a western
My dance-floor date
My rodeo Romeo
A cowboy god from head to toe
Wanna make you mine?
Better get in line
5-6-7-8

Tush-pushin'
Thunder-footin'
Cowgirl twistin'
No resistin'

Drums bangin'
Steel-twangin'
Two-steppin'
End to end

Hardwood crawlin'
Some four-wallin'
Rug cuttin'
Cowboy struttin'

Burnin', yearnin', windin', grindin',
Let's begin the dance again

You're mine, all mine now bubba
Gonna rope you in
So count me in
5-6-7-8

My boot-scootin' baby is drivin' me crazy
My obsession from a western
My dance-floor date
My rodeo Romeo
A cowboy god from head to toe
Wanna make you mine?
Better get in line
5-6-7-8

They just don't write lyrics like that any more. [Actually, they probably do, it just that you can't understand a word nowadays with all that mumbling.]

Have a good week, dear reader. Keep warm!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, my boot scootin’ baby, I hope you can stay warm and cozy today. 5 6 7 8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working from home today, so nice and cozy! Jx

      Delete
  2. 6 inches is enough for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't want to be greedy...

      Mind you, it's gone soft now and is shrinking as we speak, so at least I enjoyed it at its peak 😂 Jx

      Delete
    2. Mitzi and then your riposte shot me down...
      But, yes, I'm with Mme A. on a garden re-think.Same for me(on the flip side) as I swelter through summer and wonder what can cope where...

      Delete
    3. Nowt like a bit of sauce to cheer you up, Dinah!

      The main problem with our garden (apart from the obvious restriction of having to grow everything in pots) is the encroaching shade from those damned weed trees. Sun-loving plants are no longer an option as time goes on. I'm hoping that at least some of our plant collection will survive this - geraniums, hemerocallis, aquilegias, bulbs and roses (among others) are all hardy, after all. However, I foresee a big shopping trip in the Spring for fuchsias and pelargoniums... Jx

      Delete
  3. Who knew British Hillbillies were so beachy? Not I. I had no idea line dancing had crossed the pond back then. Being a country myself, I can say I've done my fair share of line dancing and square dancing in my early years. In fact, we had to do square dancing as part of our Physical Education (P.E>) in elementary school. In my 20's I branched out into everything else, Salsa, Tango, Swing, Mambo, ChaCha, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Line dancing had a wave of popularity here in the UK in the 90s - thanks to Billy Ray Cyrus and his "Achy Breaky Heart". Steps were formed as a novelty act, just to take advantage of the trend. Thirty years later, and they're still together and still as popular as ever! Jx

      Delete
    2. I've come back to read your reply as I do and realize that I had left out an important word, "girl" That I am a "country girl" although, I do feel as if I am a country unto my own sometimes. Ha,ha,ha! Yes, "achy Breaky heart" is what started it all!

      Delete
  4. OMG!! You have six inches up your back passage???!!! [Somebody had to type it].
    Kind of laughable that the railways are on strike today as the trains wouldn't have run anyway thanks to the big freeze!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when that supercilious twat Mick Lynch gets egg on his face - "Strike? What strike? Nobody noticed." Jx

      Delete
  5. Oh, dear... scraping the bottom of the barrel already, dear? What's next? One-Eyed-Joe? Honestly... the painful things one must endure for just a few crumbs of class. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know you're "Foot kickin', finger clickin', leather slapping and hand clappin'" as we speak, sweetie! Jx

      PS Now you've made "Cottoneye Joe" a bloody earworm for me! Just as I'd managed to lose "Achy-Breaky Heart", too.

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]