Saturday 28 October 2023

Crackin' up

We're off later this afternoon for a get-together in one of our fave pubs, the Penderel's Oak in Holborn, to celebrate our friend John-John's birthday (which is actually on Monday).

It's also Hallowe'en weekend (that's on Tuesday) so we fully expect to see a load of people dressed up as witches, bitches, vampires and the like as the evening progresses!

John-John being Abba's "Number One Fan", I thought it appropriate to feature something from the Swedish supergroup's back catalogue by way of a celebration...

...and it's definitively their spookiest number:

I hear the door-bell ring and suddenly the panic takes me
The sound so ominously tearing through the silence
I cannot move, I'm standing
Numb and frozen
Among the things I love so dearly
The books, the paintings and the furniture
Help me...

The signal's sounding once again and someone tries the doorknob
None of my friends would be so stupidly impatient
And they don't dare to come here
Any more now
But how I loved our secret meetings
We talked and talked in quiet voices
Smiling...

Now I hear them moving
Muffled noises coming through the door
I feel I'm
Crackin' up
Voices growing louder, irritation building
And I'm close to fainting
Crackin' up
They must know by now I'm in here trembling
In a terror ever growing
Crackin' up
My whole world is falling, going crazy
There is no escaping now, I'm
Crackin' up

These walls have witnessed all the anguish of humiliation
And seen the hope of freedom glow in shining faces
And now they've come to take me
Come to break me
And yet it isn't unexpected
I have been waiting for these visitors
Help me...

Now I hear them moving
Muffled noises coming through the door
I feel I'm
Crackin' up
Voices growing louder, irritation building
And I'm close to fainting
Crackin' up
They must know by now I'm in here trembling
In a terror ever growing
Crackin' up
My whole world is falling, going crazy
There is no escaping now, I'm
Crackin' up

Crackin' up? Moi? Not bloody likely - but who knows, after another all-day drinking sesh?

12 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of "The Visitors" when I saw your latest post title on my Sideboard, and I'm glad it features here as it's one of my very favourite ABBA songs!

    Happy pre-birthday to John-John, and have a fab afternoon-evening-night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a splendid song, indeed. Jx

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the birthday wish. We had a great evening. 😀

      Delete
    3. It was indeed a splendid evening, dear! Jx

      Delete
  2. Why do I not know this Abba tune? It's from 1981! Maybe I was moving away from Abba at that time?
    Have a great time this afternoon/tonight - at least you have an extra hour in bed, so we will expect you up bright and early tomorrow so we can read all about it!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Visitors LP was Abba's last, great gasp before splitting - just about every track on it is a corker! Jx

      PS I do love a lie-in (I only surfaced today at 1.20pm!), but I dread the darker evenings...

      Delete
  3. Bless you honey! Hope you got home okay! Thanks for everything. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you all and especially John-John had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab track, fab album and a fab birthday get together with John John. Happy Birthday dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that, and a personal appearance by Tim Martin, too! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]