Wednesday 18 October 2023

Fatuous garments

What do you get if you cross a sheep and a kangaroo? A misbegotten monstrosity begging to die, and that’s what you’ll look like in this season’s woolly jumpers!

Retro
Lighting up your local pop-up bar like Noel Edmonds on the Multi-Coloured Swap Shop? In a sweater so toxically patterned it’s registered as a weapon of psychological warfare? Bearing geometries as mismatched and clashing as Saudi Arabia and Yemen? You’re causing offence at 40 paces!

Chunky
Cable-knit, from a Scottish isle so remote its own crofters haven’t heard of it yet, sickeningly beige, warmer than a London flat, this look has everything but style. Only the irrepressibly angular can snuggle into this and still have a silhouette, so if you’re not all corners leave it the hell alone!

Ironic
What’s this on your knit? Not staid patterns, as one would expect, but a mark of cool? The Wu-Tang Clan, Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, the Twin Towers aflame? Son, the dissonance between the granny-friendly manufacture of your jumper and its contemporary message has just blown six minds.

Sleeveless
Is it a tank top? Is it a sweater vest? Depends on which side of the mid-Atlantic ridge you come down on, but either way you’re wearing one of the most fatuous garments around. Warm body? Cold arms? What possible benefit is there to this? It’s so wildly impractical it’s the height of fashion, especially in drab olive and utility brown!

Distressed
Only M&S dads wear fresh-off-the-rack. You need your jumper to look comfortable, thrown-on, lived-in, fucked. Either spend a hard day running through hedges until you’ve got those crucial snags or buy Primark and it’ll be unravelling before you leave the tills. Follow the thread and you’re all the way back there!

V-neck
Your fashion icon? Michael Douglas in a LA club in the early 90s being shut out of restroom stalls by hot blonde bisexuals. Your corresponding choice of knit? The classic green V-neck worn with nothing underneath. Those who know? They’ll know.

The Daily Mash

Of course.

8 comments:

  1. Just let me have my cashmere turtlenecks...my winter mainstay, and gin and I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much in the way of woollen clothing, apart from winter overcoats, here at Dolores Delargo Towers. I do not like pullovers nor cardigans anyhow (especially not against the skin), and we have too many clothes moths as it is, without encouraging them... Jx

      Delete
  2. You’ve raided my knitting pattern stash!!!
    Apologies, I love a jumper!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ms Scarlet's knitting pattern stash - the Roger Moore edition"? Jx

      Delete
  3. One of the recurring bits in several of Barbara Pym's novels was one of the characters would be a model for knitting catalogues. Somehow that seemed to be code for both homo and louche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Muscato [oh, how I miss his blog!] was a great Barbara Pym fan. I have still never read any of her work, but I imagine mixing in her family's operatic/theatrical circles, she might easily have been able to identify the "secret homo signs" of the 1950s. Like tank-tops. And suede shoes. Jx

      Delete
  4. In the 'Olden Days' everything was hand knitted, even my swimming trunks !!!!
    The good old days my ass. I still shudder at the thought of wool touching my finger nails and snagging.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]