Thursday 26 October 2023

Maiming power

Fireworks are once again being snapped up by the sorts of people least suited to using them.

Teenagers, morons and adults planning to set them off while incredibly drunk are all going to their local firework-selling establishment and stocking up.

Jack Browne, 18, said: “Isn’t it mad that you can go to a dodgy shop and legally buy a fuckload of explosives? And by ‘mad’ I mean ‘brilliant’.

“You wouldn’t let a twat like me buy a lump of Semtex over the counter, but in the right circumstances these have got just as much maiming power. It’s not even Bonfire Night and I’ve got more gunpowder than a box of shotgun shells under my arm. While smoking a fag.

“Every autumn people moan there should only be official displays and yet the law never changes. Long may it last. Well, at least as long as I’m interested in letting rockets off down quiet residential streets and scaring the shit out of old people and animals.”


Oliver O’Connor, 39, said: “My mates love my annual fireworks party. They look forward to getting hammered in my kitchen before stumbling outside to watch me ham-fistedly set off 30 fireworks from a four-metre-square back yard.

“Is it dangerous? Yeah, I've almost blown my face off by returning to a misfiring Catherine Wheel. But it’s a great British tradition and that trumps everything else. If someone loses an eye it’s like Nelson.”

The Daily Mash

Of course.

6 comments:

  1. Indeed. Fireworks aren't that great in a heavily thatched village either. They should be banned. I pray for rain at this time of year.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you can take comfort that it is only "this time of year" that you get fireworks in your area. Here in London - home of myriad cultures - we have fireworks on regular occasions throughout the year. It depends when the various festivals (Eid, Diwali and so on) or "independence days" for people's home countries fall... Jx

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping that there aren't too many teenagers, morons and incredibly drunk adults around here who have stocked up - I don't fancy having to put up with Bitey barking his little head off all night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Explosives and alcohol are never a good mix...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet every year, another such combination makes an entry in the Darwin Awards. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]