Wednesday 23 March 2022

Working hard is the worst mistake

Working hard is the worst mistake anyone planning a successful career can make, research has revealed.

Getting your head down and really grafting is more damaging to your career prospects than absenteeism, incompetence, sexual harrassment or fistfighting colleagues in an open-plan office, according to new work by the Institute for Studies.

Professor Henry Brubaker explained: “Progressing through the ranks has no connection to hard work. It’s about networking, Powerpoint panache and constantly broadcasting your achievements.

“Anyone actually working has no time for any of that, because they’re too busy doing everyone else’s work. Consequently they go unnoticed and unrewarded. The fools.”


Chief operating officer Nathan Muir said: “I used to do actual work but then decided I’d have six months off and hang around agreeing with my superiors instead. They haven’t stopped promoting me since.

“It’s all perfectly fair. I even had an interview for this job, though my boss assured me over a sneaky pint that it was a done deal and that we were just doing it to keep HR happy."


Employee Emma Bradford said: “I work diligently and trust that the results will speak for themselves. Then Nathan says he did it.”

The Daily Mash

Of course.

4 comments:

  1. This doesn’t surprise me in the least. The worst career choice I ever made was to have a career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, to have been born Countess of Grantham... Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh. When you mentioned working hard... well, I was hoping for a different sort of bend to this article. Sigh. Any chance for a do over? Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the boss with the clipboard would "do you over" the desk. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]