Sunday 13 March 2022

Musique nouvelle

It's raining, so any thought of doing more pottering in the garden has gone out of the window (not that my aching back would have permitted me to do anything much more strenuous than a bit of light dead-heading...). Time, instead, for a selection of "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late!

First up, let's get this one out of the way - this bizarre-yet-bland number is the UK entry for this year's Eurovision Song Contest. I feel the thundering sound of "Nil Points" looming in my ears, again:

This next one brought a wry smile to my face; as several formerly fresh-faced performers from the 1980s team up to celebrate/commiserate the passing of four decades since their heyday:

Speaking about formerly world-dominating artists trying to recreate past glories...

This cracker of a choon has been played a lot on Radio 2 lately, and with very good reason. It's a proper "earworm" - I think this young lady may go far:

From the sublime to the..? Professional weirdos Superorganism plus a man dancing in his skimpies? Why not:

We need a moment of calm after that - how about a bit of soothing Satie?

Let's finish on a high, shall we? Not actually "new" at all, but new to moi, so that's all that matters - let's go to a carnival!

As ever, dear reader, let me know your thoughts...

10 comments:

  1. I think you may be right about 'Space Man'. I couldn't get through it, and also had to cut Madonna and that Superorganism off, too.
    Sister Cookie, Satie, and the Souljazz Orchestra on the other hand, were allowed to finish.
    But NKOTB and the rest of the 80s & 90s stole the show! I'm just going back for another listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the NKOTB collaboration is far and away the best track of the bunch! Jx

      Delete
  2. Is this what we on this side of the pond have to look forward to???? Yeah, I read somewhere that there's going to be an "American Song Contest" starting sometime this month. Sweet Mary Sunshine, someone PLEASE tell me why? Haven't we seen enough reality TV and its horrendous effects here?? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about those plans for "American Song Contest", too. I think the networks over there took a look at the viewing figures for Eurovision (183 million people watched the contest in 2021, including us) and felt like jumping on the bandwagon. Why? remains a moot point. Jx

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all these. A man of good taste... I like. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I went out into my yard to do a little "light dead heading" only to wind up hours later with my back in much worse condition after a frenzy of gardening madness.

    I think the guy dancing in his underwear is Brian Jordan, sort of a professional gay who makes YouTube videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is addictive! I knew the Phlox needed to be split up as it didn't flower as well as normal last year, but once I had done that I ended up re-potting a huge clump of Hemerocallis (which had to be cut out of the pot it was in), moving a Veronica gentianoides that was being swamped by a spreading hardy Geranium, pruning two Salvia ulignosa to their stumps, and clearing sycamore seedlings and dead leaves - no wonder I'm aching...

      Jx

      PS the dancing Queen is indeed Brian Jordan Alvarez, who used to be in Will & Grace [dunno - never watched it!].

      Delete
  5. Juliette Noureddine's cover version of 'Je te Veux' came out on top for me.
    Closely followed by the 'Souljazz Orchestra'
    Azucar !!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]