Wednesday 16 March 2022

We started out as friends

You know you're getting old when...

...you realise that dinky pocket-sized purveyor of passion-making Terence Trent D'Arby [now known as Sananda Maitreya] is 60 years old today...

Fortunately you have someone who relies on you
We started out as friends but the thought of you just caves me in
The symptoms run so deep, it's much too late to turn away
We started out as friends

Oh, sign your name across my heart
I want you to be my baby
Sign your name across my heart
I want you to be my lady

All alone with you makes the butterflies in me arise
Slowly we make love and the earth rotates to our dictates
Slowly we make love

Oh, sign your name across my heart
I want you to be my baby
Sign your name across my heart
I want you to be my lady

Birds never look into the sun before the day is gone
But the light shines brighter on a peaceful day
Stranger blue, leave us alone, we don't wanna deal with you
We'll shed our stains showering in the room that makes the rain

Oh, I need you to sign your name across my heart
I want you to be my baby
Sign your name across my heart
I want you to be my lady…

"Lady"? Really..?!

6 comments:

  1. I remember that song, and maybe a few others, but I had no idea he'd changed his name, and even less that he was still recording, sugar! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the "Yuppie" era of the 1980s, just about everyone had to have a copy of his LP Introducing The Hardline [as well as Sade's Diamond Life and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms] in their collection - as a sign of being "sophisticated", as much as the fact it was supposedly "good music for shagging to". Jx

      Delete
  2. Holy shit.
    Sixty? I just got his LP like two months ago in a thrift store in Edgewater. Whoa.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also 60 this year are Tom Cruise, Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran, Jodie Foster, Melissa Sue Anderson from Little House On The Prairie, Ralph Fiennes, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estevez, John Hannah, Wesley Snipes, Paula Abdul, Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode, Matthew Broderick, and (erm) MC Hammer...

      Scary, innit? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]