Tuesday 22 March 2022

Let's get out of this life

Oh. My. Gawd!

Talk about "cream yer knickers time" - after all these years, for the first time two of my absolute fave bands of all time have teamed up to release a single, which premiered today! It is every bit as fabulous as I would have hoped:

I love it...


Speaking of musical passions, there is one "instrument" that has forever been behind the music I love (not least that of the artistes above), so let us have a bit of a celebration of...

...the Synthesizer! From its roots in such esoterica as the Theramin to today's minimal technology, and betwixt or between, it has become the basis for the huge variety of sounds that form much of today's music.

It is actually 65 years this year since the first programmable synth [the RCA Mark II] was installed - a "room-sized array of interconnected sound synthesis components", indeed. In 1957 it must have appeared like something from another planet...

Any excuse, really, for another little selection of music that owes its legacy to the early pioneers of musical technology:

[See my previous post here for more "Synth-tastic" choons.]

7 comments:

  1. WHAT! The Pet Shop Boys are back with new material?!? I had a listen, and I must agree! Fabulous! I did creme myself a bit.

    So nice to hear them again, with new material. I had a brief moment of seeing myself in the video. The old lady with curlers and doing my make up is my daily routine and looks much like me And people think that magic just happens!

    On a side note, I thought of you and the Madame the other night as I was viewing a movie called Swan Song. It stars Udo Kier in the lead and Michael Urie is just as adorable as ever. I think you two might enjoy it.

    After all, I don't think you two and I are far off from being Pat Pitsenbarger.

    Thanks for the heads up my dear on the Pet Shop Boys.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved it as much as I do, Mads! However, I saw you more as the old drag queen wistfully dancing round her living-room looking at her wigs... [[ducks flying crockery]]

      Jx

      PS I will look up Swan Song. It might be one to put on the list for a future "Film Club" with our gang.

      Delete
    2. Yes tis correct, I swear some days it's like your here...

      Delete
  2. I am in love.... Adored all the depictions of aging and that the boys weren't dodging the bullet. Yes... embrace it. I want to be sitting on a bar stool at 2:00pm on a weekday in Autumn, listening to that tune while sipping a gin and tonic. Sigh. So glad they did it. How fun. And haven't heard Trans-X in eons. Thanks for sharing this and celebrating it. How truly lovely. Those boys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a celebration of past glories - an a masterful way, of course. It's just joyous! Jx

      Delete
  3. How cool was that? I haven't heard the Pet Shop Boys in ages, so thanks for the video. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]