Sunday 27 November 2022

Eh, by gum!


"Hotpot, Ken?"

Today is officially Lancashire Day! [Yes, it is a "thing".]

Should you ever find yourself in The Red Rose County, here are some phrases you may find useful:

  • Ey up cocker: Meaning "hello mate".
  • Barm/Teacake: A bread roll.
  • Cakehole: Mouth.
  • Cracking Flags: Really hot weather.
  • Ginnel: A small alleyway between two (usually terraced) houses.
  • Harping on: Doesn't stop talking about something, to the point of annoyance.
  • Jiggered: Tired.
  • Manchester caviar: Mushy peas.
  • Owt: Anything.
  • Scran: Food.
  • Sweatin' cobs: To sweat excessively.
  • Chuffed: A way of describing how pleased you are.
  • Mither/mithering: Pester or irritate someone.
  • Ta-rah!: Bye!

...and here's a lady who was the master of 'em all!

Ta-rah!

8 comments:

  1. We need another Gracie Fields. I knew harping on, jiggered, owt, and chuffed: The rest are new to me. I love Manchester caviar (the phrase; I hate mushy peas). And I’ve heard pie hole but never cake hole. A great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love mushy peas! Particular good with fish and chips or faggots (or "savoury ducks" as they're apparently called in Lancashire)... Jx

      Delete
  2. Ee! Ta luv. I'm chuffed t'mint balls.
    My Dad went to school in Liverpool and when Z Cars first came out on tv (in distant NZ, that is) it was the first time I ever heard his accent switch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny when that happens. My Welsh accent becomes incredibly strong when in an environment with fellow countrymen, but in general it's not so strong as we live in London. Our friend Sal is Geordie, but you'd never know until she comes back from a visit up North, when it turns into Byker Grove. Jx

      Delete
  3. Funny, I use a few of those phrases - or have used them - I wonder if that's because my dad's side originate from up North?
    I can't shake my accent. I drop half the alphabet every time I open my mouth!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a few of these phrases sometimes, too. I blame Coronation Street (although, admittedly, I don't think I've actually watched it since Alf Roberts died in his sleep in that armchair). Jx

      Delete
  4. I adore our Gracie and enjoyed your 'Coronation Street' phrase book, you balm cake.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]