Tuesday 15 November 2022

Yeah but no but yeah but no but

The English language is rich, varied and blessed with 4,000 passive-aggressive synonyms for the word ‘no’. These are just a few:

‘Maybe’
Both noun and an adverb and means ‘no’ either way. Commonly employed by parents, for example: ‘maybe we could get you a drum kit in a couple of years, if you’re good, maybe.’ Also used by partners while considering the latest sexual innovation you’d like to try.

‘Hmmmm’
Less a word, more a murmer of indifference which directly translates as ‘not fucking likely’. Often said by someone scrunching up their face in revulsion during situations where a flat ‘no’ is socially unacceptable. You’ll recognise it from first dates.

‘I’ll think about it’
They’ve already thought about it and the answer is no, but they’re too polite, cowardly or professional to say so. Bosses use this when you ask for a pay rise so you’ll forget it and move on. It’s been four years and you haven’t forgotten, not that you deserve one.

‘Could do’
The ‘no’ of choice for indecisive girlfriends. That nice Chinese place round the corner? Could do. Or the Indian joint by Waitrose? Could do. Domino’s? Could do. When you find yourself trapped in this cycle, ask them if they’d like to continue the relationship. You’ll get the same response.

‘Yeah no’
A brutal, whiplash-inducing piece of linguistic chicanery. The positive only there to affirm the negative, to offer hope before crushing it, to leave you in no doubt as to the speaker’s blanket dismissal.

‘I’d love to’
The most remorseless, humiliating ‘no’ of them all, detected only in retrospect by eager men whose texts go unanswered. Will secretly hope it means ‘yes’ until their dying days.

The Daily Mash

Of course.

22 comments:

  1. "I'll get back to you about that."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Not a phrase with which I am familiar, M'Lud. Jx

      Delete
    2. I think it was popularised on “Friends.” But I remember it from my own NYC friends.

      Delete
    3. I hated Friends. That explains why it meant nothing to me! Jx

      Delete
  3. Guilty... I'll think about it. I use it when I don't know what to say... I have no intention of doing whatever is requested, but can't deal with face to face telling them no. So... I put it off, until they get the hint and get on with it themselves. Very passive aggressive, I know... but - it's Minnesota. We do that here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Massively worried about whoever writes these articles

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is only one way of saying it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anglo-Saxon, Mitzi? I use it all the time. Jx

      Delete
    2. Mavis from Coronation Street, I used "it" to highlight the link, I knew I should have used "Saying" instead.

      Delete
    3. Ah! I missed the link. Mavis always did it best... Jx

      Delete
  6. I use a long erm..... quite often. I suppose that's similar to hmmm. And sometimes I will use 'depends' as a form of defence.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often just roll my eyes, which is also equivalent to "erm" or "hmmm". Jx

      Delete
  7. In some cases "sod off!" works best. But I'll let you think about it and get back to me...
    And, since we're all here...here's to The Mash! "I'll drink to that!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Mitzi's version might have been similar. Jx

      PS The Mash often hits the target better than many "news"papers do.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. As The Mistress said: "I'll get back to you about that." Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]