Tuesday 8 November 2022

Ding, Dong

Another day, another "national treasure" departs for Fabulon...

Leslie Phillips (for it is he), despite being born and brought up in Tottenham [98 years ago!] to a working-class family (his dad worked in a factory), became renowned as the archetypal suave "posh toff" in myriad comedy and light entertainment shows, from his early days in The Navy Lark on BBC radio in the 1950s, to his voiceover work for children's programmes and even Harry Potter, to stealing the show even from "Nan" in the Catherine Tate Show.

In fact he never seemed to be out of work - he was in three Carry On films and three "Doctor" films, he played a variety of naval officers, Reverends, civil servants, Majors, and assorted "authority figures" over a span of eight decades; most, if not all [notably his fab portrayal of the seedy crooked businessman Jimmy Blake in Chancer], of whom were saucy womanisers fond of a tipple. The premise was taken to its ultimate degree in the 70s series Casanova, which was basically an excuse for him to flirt with a succession of scantily-clad "dolly-birds". His timeless catchphrases - albeit modelled on the legendary Terry-Thomas - such as "Ding Dong" and "Oh. I Sayyy...", delivered with that salacious inflection, have become the stuff of legend...

As my Nan would have said: "He had a good innings." He will, however, be sadly missed. One of the last survivors of a classic era, the like of which we'll never see again...

RIP, Leslie Samuel Phillips CBE (20th April 1924 – 7th November 2022)

17 comments:

  1. I thought he had died years ago. I can't mourn now I've just heard Kath and Kim are making a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Look at moiye, look at moiye, Look at moiye, ploise!"

      Leslie Phillips would have been a great fan, I'm sure. Jx

      Delete
  2. This sent me on a jag of Terry Thomas videos. Haven’t thought of him in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They (inevitably) worked together a few times. Cads a-go-go! Jx

      Delete
  3. Love The Catherine Tate Show... sigh. It was loverly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One in a long, long line of great comedy sketch shows the BBC produced; it's amazing to think it first hit the screens eighteen years ago! Jx

      Delete
  4. Love Leslie Phillips, my mum saw him live at the bbc radio theatre in the navy lark. Neither of them had much good to say about the program (grandad was more impressed by the recording equipment) but he was fantastic in his role.

    Are any other carry on actors left? My brothers mentioned Jim Dale, Angela Douglas, Sally Gleeson and Amanda Barrie, and I remembered Sheila Hancock was still alive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing to think that Jim Dale is 87 years old, as is Amanda Barrie; Angela Douglas is 82 and Sally Geeson is 72. I had quite forgotten that Dame Sheila Hancock (89) had even appeared in a Carry On film, to be honest. Other surviving (supporting) cast members include Jacki Piper (76), Julian Holloway (78), Valerie Leon (79), Anita Harris (80) and Shirley Eaton (85). Jx

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I mistakenly said Margaret Nolan was the only person to be a Carry On actress and a Bond girl, it is good to know Shirley Eaton is still alive.

      Delete
  5. And let's not forget HMS Troutbridge and "Left hand down a bit...bit mor-CRASH OH. Lummy"
    And now I'm thinking of so many others he worked with. If the day comes when I can't remember if I've had breakfast I'll be quite happy in my "attic" with me mem'ries, luv.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Let's not forget..."? I was only a child when The Navy Lark was around. Never listened to it in my life. Jx

      Delete
  6. And we were only talking about him a few weeks back because of his appearance in the Soft Tempo Lounge YouTubes. I am saddened, he was such a character.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we were, Ms Scarlet! It is very sad to see all the "old familiars" (like Bernard Cribbins, Barry Cryer and so on) shuffling off this mortal coil. Jx

      Delete
  7. I had to go look up what he did on Catherine Tate Show, it was very snappy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another sad loss.
    Long live Anita Harris, I say.
    Ding Dong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gawd - don't tempt fate! That black armband's only just gone back in the drawer. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]