Wednesday 2 November 2022

A good game of backgammon is just as much fun as pulling

One minute you’re popping pills, the next you’re visiting National Trust sites and discussing potty training. Here are the warning signs that your social circle has become dangerously middle-aged.

You bond over country walks instead of class A drugs
Do your friends contact you before a big get-together and remind you to bring a few grams? Or do they remind you to bring an anorak and a decent pair of walking boots? If the closest thing to a drug you consume now is a slab of moreish Kendal mint cake, you’ll never swap dreary anecdotes about a ‘bad E’ again.

Your holidays always factor in art galleries and museums
Time was, you and your mates would pick holiday destinations based purely on their proximity to clubs and bars. But in recent years you’ve been overcome by the feeling you should look at a Picasso or a bit of medieval crockery. It’s nothing to worry about. It just means your youth is over and you’ve begun your slow march to the grave.

The vast majority of your conversations are about property prices
Young people talk about TikTok, Stranger Things, and anal sex. Whereas old people prefer to chat about tedious shit like house prices and mortgages. You don’t mean to get sucked into a long, boring-as-fuck conversation off Location, Location, Location, but somehow it always happens.

Nightclubs are now too loud and busy
Once you reach a certain age, nightclubs suddenly become confusing and frightening places. Don’t fight it. A nightclub is simply not a suitable environment for bald patches, cardigans and mid-life ennui. Instead go somewhere more age-appropriate, like a quiet pub that lets you play board games. A good game of backgammon is just as much fun as pulling, you blatantly lie to yourself.

You all call it a night before 10pm
You can still remember the days when you and your mates would stay out until the sun came up. But now you’ve all got work and other soul-destroying responsibilities. Also you’re tired. Really fucking tired. Still, if all your mates are knackered zombies with no interesting conversation you’ve always got people to hang out with.
The Daily Mash

Of course.

11 comments:

  1. Bog all that! I can still get off my tits by having a strong coffee after half three in the afternoon then shut myself in the pantry with it's flickering light bulb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they call an "all-day rave" in Overstrand, evidently. Jx

      Delete
  2. First two comments made me splutter my vino.Shame on you, boys!
    I'm having trouble getting past the hand knit cardies, with pockets!! and collars.
    (And to think Roger Moore modelled such crap! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just you wait, Dinah - one of those so-called "influencers" only has to knit one/wear one/be seen unboxing one on TikTok, and lemon-yellow hand-knits will be available via mail order before you know it! Jx

      Delete
  3. What are my knitwear boys doing here????!!! They must have escaped from one of my cupboards? This is almost distracting me from the miserable truth that I must be so settled and old that even fevered discussions about the housing market belong in my past. And I am being invited to WI meetings about air fryers.
    I think I will take a leaf out of Mr Devine’s book, string up some fairy lights, tape up my jowls, and have a fully caffeinated cup of tea after 5pm.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo-hoo! I can hear them cranking up the wireless over in Riddlecombe, Buckland Filleigh and Weare Giffard as we speak. Jx

      Delete
  4. I recently acquired a 1000-piece jigsaw of The Merry wives of Winsor from a neighbour, "something to do on those wintry nights" I could have wept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lordy. Never mind, it is the season for bonfires, so I'm sure it won't bother you for much longer. Jx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'd guess you agree most of all with the last bit of the article... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]