Sunday 6 October 2024

Of hedgehogs, Schubert and Summer

After a flurry of activity in the garden yesterday in the sunshine, today's a much slower affair. It's gloomy and mizzly out there so gardening wouldn't be an option, and I had a verrrry long lie-in without missing anything much.

By way of some unusual "Sunday music" to match the mood, how about one of the quirkiest of bands that I stumbled across on radio recently?

From their own blurb:

Zum Roten Igel (which translates as "The Red Hedgehog") was the 19th century tavern in Vienna where Brahms, and before him, Schubert, would go to drink and smoke and make merry with their friends. They also heard the gypsies play there, and some of this music found its way into their writing. The band ZRI play uniquely re-imagined versions of [the classics], re-scored for a folk ensemble of its time.

You can imagine why I was intrigued...

It doesn't stop there, however - try this!

Faboo stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'm glad I was able to stop by on today of all days. I particularly liked their Donna Summers cover! Reminds me of what Postmodern Jukebox does, modern songs with a vintage twist.

    My son actually prefers the Ramin Djawadi instrumental version of Nirvana's Cancer in a Box which starts slow with piano then builds into a full orchestra. You can hear it here: https://youtu.be/LDS8SeO6hyg?si=H1h4T6Ah1fWgnYAO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enraptured by their "gypsy" take on all types of music - they've even done Taylor Swift!

      That instrumental of Nirvana's rather good, too. Very moody... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]