Tuesday 5 December 2023

It's time for a thirteen-inch tongue again

Happy Krampusnacht!!

I have, of course, featured our favourite "horny beast" - the "anti-Santa", scourge of wicked children everywhere - here many times before [check the label at the foot of this blog post for more]. He is rather a hero, after all!

From All That's Interesting blog:

Krampus comes to town the night before the Feast of Saint Nicholas and visits all the houses to dish out his punishments.

If you’re lucky, you might just get swatted with a birch branch. If you’re not, you’ll wind up in the sack. After that, your fate is anyone’s guess. The legends suggest you might be eaten as a snack, drowned in a river, or even dropped off in Hell.

Sometimes Krampus is accompanied by Saint Nicholas, who isn’t known to bother himself with naughty children in Central Europe. Instead, he focuses on handing out presents to well-behaved kids and then leaves the rest up to his sinister counterpart.

How did Krampus become a regular part of holiday fun in places like Austria, Bavaria, the Czech Republic, and Slovenia? Nobody is entirely certain.

But most people believe that Krampus originally hails from the Alpine region’s pagan past. His name comes from the German word krampen, which means “claw,” and he bears a striking resemblance to the old Norse legends about the son of Hel, the god of the underworld.

It’s a compelling theory, especially since Krampus’ appearance coincides with a number of pagan winter rites [including the ancient Perchten rite of driving out evil spirits].

Enduring into the modern age, there are Krampus-related events across the world [not least last weekend's in the UK's "Goth Capital" Whitby] - and, of course, tribute songs...

Oooooo Is that a Krampus?

He will hit you with his sticks
and lick you with his tongue...
13 inches long.

Do you hear what I hear?
Sleigh Bells in Hell.
We are not alone here.
Chains on the tree.
Do you hear what I hear?
Unwrap your fears.
Krampus...
Jesus isn't here!

Who's been bad and
who's been naughty?
You'll get more than coal.
Santa has a friend...
A black and hairy man.

Little goat feet in the parlor;
he's pulling on your hair.
Chains you up, inside a sack
and throws you in the air.

Do you hear what I hear?
Sleigh Bells in Hell.
We are not alone here.
Chains on the tree.
Do you hear what I hear?
Unwrap your fears.
Krampus...
Jesus isn't here!

Sleigh bells in Hell
Chains on the Tree
Surf's up Krampus

Krampus time is Christmas time,
Christmas time is Krampus time of year!

Bye Bye!

I never tire of it.

14 comments:

  1. Krampus! Beats the bejeezlehoop out of the h0-h0-ho silly men dressed up in Santa suits in shopping malls. (Once upon a time...a student friend volunteered (silly boy!) to be a Santa at a shopping centre. He quit after the first day, claiming "nappy rash" from all the kids that pee'd on him!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children revolt me far more than Krampus does! Jx

      Delete
  2. I always watch a campy fun movie from a few years ago called Krampus. It's always my first holiday movie.

    And wait a minute...I thought I was your favorite horny beast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the one with the thirteen inch tongue, dear. Jx

      Delete
  3. Isn't it always time for a 13-inch tongue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krampus is the coolest. There are several terrible movies about him. I'm waiting for one that gets the dread right. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a Krampus movie, and I doubt I'm going to start now... Jx

      Delete
  5. I made it through my childhood without running into Krampus, so I'm not terribly concerned about him, but that singer's fingernails scared the pee out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's quite terrifying in her own right, I agree! "Bride of Krampus", maybe? Jx

      Delete
  6. Krampus weist die Unartigen mit mehr als nur seiner Zunge in die Schranken :)
    (vvs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if it was just his tongue that was thirteen inches long... Jx

      Delete
  7. Now I know it's nearly Christmas - Where's me bike ?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]