Tuesday 12 December 2023

Wrap me around your finger, see me fall




Could we get any more 80s if we tried..?

A mini-timeslip, dear reader! We're gone into warp drive and find ourselves in a long-forgotten world - 1982: the year of of the Falklands War, E.T., the SDP, CND, AIDS and the IRA.

In the news headlines in December forty-one years ago: the re-opening of the Spain-Gibraltar border after more than a decade, the murder of 17 people and wounding of dozens more by terrorist splinter group the INLA in the bombing of the Droppin Well disco in Ballykelly, the Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp, the closure (with the loss of 1200 jobs) of the Round Oak Steelworks in Dudley after 125 years, and we bade a fond farewell to the wonderful Marty Feldman [NB and Nicki Minaj was born]. In our cinemas: Gandhi; The Plague Dogs; Tron. On telly: the famous Only Fools and Horses episode involving a priceless chandelier; The Snowman; and the final public performance by ABBA on The Late, Late Breakfast Show.

And in our charts this week in 1982? Just in time for the usual "Xmas novelty hit" season, Renee and Renato's cheesy Save Your Love had just rocketed to the #1 slot (where it would remain until the New Year). Also present and correct were (last week's incumbents) The Jam, Culture Club, Shakin'-bloody-Stevens, Madness, Lionel Ritchie, Human League, Wham, Modern Romance and that duet between David Bowie and Bing Crosby.

Just departing the Top Ten, however, was this eternal house favourite here at Dolores Delargo Towers:

You keep me running round and round
Well, that's alright with me
Up and down, I'm up the wall
I'm up the bloody tree

That's alright with me
Yeah, that's alright with me
Well, it feels alright to me
Yeah, it looks alright to me

And I'm so tall, I'm so tall
You raise me and then you let me fall
And I'm so small, I'm so small
Wrap me around your finger, see me fall

You keep me running round and round
Well, that's alright with me
Nothing, nothing, nothing's gonna
Step in my way

Living on the ceiling
No more room down there
Things fall into place
You get the joke, fall into place

And I'm so tall, I'm so tall
You raise me and then you let me fall
And I'm so small, I'm so small
Wrap me around your finger, see me fall
Here we go

You keep me running round and round
Well, that's alright with me
Up and down, I'm up the wall
I'm up the bloody tree

Hiding from your questions
Questions you won't ask
Why am I up the tree, you say
Why are you down there, I say

And I'm so tall, I'm so tall
You raise me and then you let me fall
And I'm so small, I'm so small
Wrap me around your finger, see me fall
Hey

Faboo! But so very, very long ago...

Sob.

16 comments:

  1. I THINK I remember this song. I also think you were much more cool than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens - I used to dance to this one, and/or Talking Heads, and/or Human League, etcetera, etcetera, on my own on the dancefloor! I had all the Adam Ant/Bowie/"New Romantic" accoutrements and henna-red hair. Yet I had not come out..?!

      Peculiar times. I miss them (not the still-in-the-closet bit of course). Jx

      Delete
  2. Forty-one years ago? But it was all just the other day.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! It feels like yesterday to me, too, until I realise that I'd only left school the year before this - and suddenly I'm sixty!! Jx

      Delete
    2. Honey, I'm 64, but I still wanna go skinny dipping and sun bathe without a stitch on. The problem is someone could see me and get sick.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I was convinced I'd never heard this until the lyrics came in and suddenly I realized that, of course, I know this song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once heard, never forgotten - I love it! Jx

      Delete
  4. David Bowie and Bing Crosby?? WTF?! I must see if Tube of you knows about this. (But I think I need strong drink first...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could you have missed it? It's forever being repeated around this time of year... Jx

      Delete
  5. I did! And now I need MORE strong drink. I don't remember this at all.Maybe I was standing in the snow outside Brompton Oratory that night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pa rum pum pum pum
      Pa rum pum pum
      Pum pum pum pum


      Jx

      Delete
  6. Ooh, a Star Trek reference!
    Barely even being a whippersnapper in '82, I only have vague memories of a very few of these things: I remember seeing Drew Barrymore on Blue Peter as part of the promotion for E.T. promotion I expect, and watching The Snowman. I also recall Margaret Thatcher talking about the Falklands War, but that's probably only because I thought she was brilliant when I was 7...

    I do remember this song - I love it! - almost certainly from after the fact. though (along with Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, and Tron which I did not see in the cinema)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I just can't imagine some of the ephemeral "music" or straight-to-Netflix-films that fly around today having the same enduring appeal. Jx

      Delete
  7. Fab and I love the suit. They don't do tailoring like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you just wait - BIG shoulders will be back before you know it! What goes around, comes around... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]