Thursday 14 December 2023

Nieuw muziekfeest!

I said I'd try and get another one of my "Pick of the Pops" compilations done before the Festering Season crashes upon us, and 2023 crawls to its inevitable close - so let's have another look at/listen to some of the "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late, shall we? [I promise there'll be no "seasonal music"...]

Let's start as we mean to go on, with something quite kinky. Not sure even Billy Idol would have gone this far!

Next, yet another in a long line of choons that stands out from the crowd, yet turns out to be nowhere near new [it's from @adecadeago, in fact] - but I had never heard it before the faboo Liza Tarbuck played it on her Radio 2 show, so it's as good as...

And now for something completely different! A bizarre collaboration between an Italian folk-pop band and an operatic tenor? Right up our street, methinks:

Even more off-the-wall, we always love an unexpected rendition of something familiar:

...and we also love "kooky choreography"! [Thanks, Melanie!]

Marianne Faithfull is GOD. Thus it is only appropriate that a host of "alternative" artists have given their time and talent to release an album of covers of her songs as a fundraiser for her (as she recovers from "Long COVID"), including Cat Power, Iggy Pop, Joan As Police Woman, Lydia Lunch - and these two [duetting on one of my fave Marianne songs]!

Changing the tone completely, here's something extremely "retro" - yet utterly brand new! Giving a nod to the "blue-eyed soul revival" that swirled around a few years ago when Amy Winehouse, Duffy and their ilk ruled the roost, this Amsterdam band has it nailed:

And, leaving the best to last... This! Campness abounds!

As ever, dear reader, let me know your thoughts...

9 comments:

  1. No time t9 Watch all these right now but I did watch White Wedding and now I’m all hot and bothered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a cold shower, dear, and then you can listen to the rest... Jx

      Delete
  2. I was utterly captivated by the "White Wedding" video - I rather liked the cover, too!
    "What I Might Do" didn't really do it for me, but "Ridi Pagliaccio" was fun (the accordian player reminded me of the rather lovely Santiago Cabrera). Isabella Pfefferkorn's wildly unruly bush caught me by surprise at 7 seconds into "Toxic" - I still wasn't ready at 2:45! (The smallest of the cello quartet is really cute!)
    Love "Feel It Still" and the kooky choreography! It reminds me a little of Miike Snow's "Genghis Khan".
    I don't really know what to make of "Why D'Ya Do It"? "Cobwebs up her fanny" indeed! Although I never got into the blue-eyed soul stuff, "Aint It Funny" is a toe-tapper.
    I think "One On One" ties with "Feel It Still" as my picks of these pops (although the "White Wedding" video is the best!)!

    Thank you, Jon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, dear! Glad you enjoyed the new collection. I must admit I had to look up Señor Cabrera - quite cute. It's worth pointing out that Feel It Still is not new, but the video is; you probably just missed the choon first time round. Miss Faithfull's Broken English (from whence Why D'Ya Do It? song originated) is an all-time classic and well worth checking out.

      One On One is an earworm! Still buzzing through my head now... Jx

      Delete
    2. PS I remembered posting that Miike [sic] Snow number a while back, too - I didn't realise it was as long ago as 2016! Jx

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes, I did miss "Feel It Still" first time around. Oops!

      I was going to link to my post featuring "Ghengis Khan" earlier, but discovered that the YouTube link is broken so I've got to fix it (along with a few others from that post). Oh, and: Gasp! You found "Ghengis Khan" via me - usually it's the other way around!

      P.S. I rather like "Two Hearts" by NZCA Lines in your 2016 post. I wonder if they're named after the Nazca Lines in Peru?

      Delete
    4. The Genghis Khan video link in my 2016 post is still working, so you can copy that... Jx

      PS No clue anywhere why "NZCA Lines" was so christened, but it's definitely a "play" on the name of the mysterious monuments so beloved of Erich von Däniken.

      Delete
  3. Fab will do a proper catch up and down load when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll hold you to that, otherwise the "Now That's What I Call Dolores Delargo Towers 2023" gatefold double-vinyl LP is never going to get pressed... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]