Monday 5 July 2021

Addio, bellissima

Oh no! Dig out the black armbands...

...our Patron Saint of Neck-breaking Head Flicks herself, Raffaella Carrà has departed to lead the fiesta in Fabulon, aged 78...

Mere words cannot express what a sad loss this is to us here at Dolores Delargo Towers. Signorina Carrà was always an integral feature of any of our house parties - in particular this number:

...which was given a whole new lease of life by none other than DJ Bob Sinclar a decade ago:

Our Raffaella was, of course, a regular and venerated fixture in our Tacky Music Monday slot, right from the launch of this very blog - and this was the first such slice of her joyful safety-gays-filled madness I featured way back in 2008. It's Rumore!

I couldn't just leave it at that, ovviamente - so let us wallow in a Cavalcade of Carrà!!

...and, saving the best to last - this:

RIP, Raffaella Carrà (born Raffaella Maria Roberta Pelloni, 18th June 1943 – 5th July 2021)

Thank you for all the joy you gave us.

15 comments:

  1. WOW. Those are some great production values. You had me with the Pepto Bismol Dancers... But Night and Day? Beyond anyone's imagination. What a sensation. And she's amazing. Her poses are perfect. Her hair? Perfect. Adore the Bob Sinclair remix... that black outfit? I WANT TO WEAR IT! Just amazing stuff. Thank you for sharing this and honoring her in such a way. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you get the measure of quite why we loved her so much! Jx

      Delete
  2. My goodness, I can't keep up with you! These last few days flew by and here you are commemorating the loss of someone whom I'm sorry to say, I've not heard of before. Still, I'm sorry for you loss. It seems I must be a generation behind and a product of whatever people these people were smoking at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raffaella was wildly popular in her native Italy, and in Spain and Spanish-speaking South America as well, but even here in the UK she only ever had one hit. Her loyal audience outside her natural markets was, inevitably, us gayers... Jx

      PS Whatever happened to the "variety show spectacular"?!

      Delete
  3. Here's another tribute video from the very talented Wendi Superstar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've listened to her before on this blog - a sad loss, but at least we have these upbeat tunes.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been one of our most regular "Divas" - I've published posts featuring her 33 times! We'll still be dancing to her at our parties... Jx

      Delete
  5. Love her!
    An icon and an ally before it was woke to be one. One of my friends way back when used to lipsync to her songs and we all danced to them.
    A big loss, that's for sure.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. The loss of an Icon is always very sad !
    Yesterday The world lost a bit of it's sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... And became a slightly duller place.

      Delete
    2. We're going to have to host a Raffaella Party! Jx

      Delete
  7. one of the few who could share the stage with Mina and hold her own. 2 italian national treasures lost this year (milva)....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]