Tuesday 20 July 2021

Feeding the masses


My audience is thrilled at the news

You will no doubt have noticed, dear reader, the appearance of a glossy new widget in the right-hand column of this blog (and indeed a similar one on my other blog Dolores Delargo Towers: Museum of Camp).

Let me explain...

The gnomes at Google (and somehow you just knew it would be their doing) have been tinkering about with things again. For many years, my myriad loyal acolytes have had the option to not only add me to their "Reading List" within Blogger itself, but also the opportunity to receive a regular dose of the madness I publish in their inbox by clicking "Follow by Email" as well. This service used to be provided by an odd little site called "Feedburner", which Google apparently (like YouTube, Maps and Blogger and so forth) owns, but never listed as one of its "apps". Now, 14 years in, they have decided to "improve" it.

"Improve", as is so often the case with such things, actually means "remove the functionality that emails people" - rendering it somewhat useless to me and to many others. So I went searching and, prompted by a sales pitch email from them which (for once) I did not send to "Junk", found a replacement (also free) service called Follow.It. Hurrah!

The people at Follow.It were very helpful in getting both "feeds" set up - it certainly isn't difficult to do - and assured me that the subscriber end of things is very simple too (although I'll need to wait till I find a site that I want to follow by email before I can have any opinion on that). So if you are already a subscriber you should from now on receive an email from Follow.it rather than Feedburner (or Blogger) notifying you of this post having been published. Hopefully not too many such notifications will go to "Junk"...

Enough "techie stuff". On with the show! - with a most appropriate choon:

10 comments:

  1. I still get notifications in my Feedly reader from you - if I am late commenting it's because I'm a lazy baggage.
    God, it's hot, I've been up hours and hours already.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feedly's another alternative to Feedburner that I looked at, but it didn't seem to offer me a widget for new subscribers to click through, so I didn't go there...

      It's really stuffy here already, and it's only 9am! Jx

      Delete
  2. I found similar "issues" as The Yanks like to call them. Us common coves, what don' speak that lingo, immediately tore out one's hair, said some most unladylike words, had another wine...and clicked into? onto? with? the i followit thingy.
    Only because another blogger switched horses and I got her post via follow!twit!
    Oh dear...people like Richard B. and Mr.Z are messing about having 4 minutes of weightlessness in a teenyweenytiny bit of outerspace when they could have spent that money sorting out all this crap!
    Tell ya what...I will not be going to any space other than what is legally essential when I hand in my dinner pail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" seems not to apply when it comes to digital matters, unfortunately... Jx

      Delete
  3. Google (and Blogger, by default) is a greedy bastard. They've been 'improving' everything lately and it's all fucked up.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for them to "improve" Blogger again. The last overhaul was a nightmare! Jx

      Delete
  4. Adore Kraftwerk. You have such excellent taste. They fascinate me. During the days of file sharing apps... what were they called - they all got shut down because of the music industry... anyhoo... I downloaded so much Kraftwerk. CDs and CDs of it... I did buy the Autobahn album... I had an 8-Trak tape of it! LOL.Thanks for the memories. I have you on my sites I follow thing on the side of my blog, that's how I keep track of when you have something new. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kraftwerk, like Giorgio Moroder, were one of the greatest influences on modern music - such a revolutionary sound among the pap of the mid-70s!

      I know everyone follows eachother's blogs in different ways, but it was just so frustrating to have to "jump through hoops" to replace one of those options, which was just arbitrarily closed-down by Google for no reason. Jx

      Delete
  5. The headless man on the right seems to be doing something other than clapping. And overexaggerating the size of it while he's at it...

    I'm not entirely sure what you're on about (somewhat ironically, it sounds a bit like witchcraft to me) - one can get blog posts emailed to them? Like Upton, I rely on my sideboard to keep me updated. I hope this new widget works for you, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!

      The function for "Subscribe by email" has been around for fourteen years - as many years as I have been blogging (and certainly, I added it straight away when I did the "great lift-and-shift from MySpazz back in 2010)... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]