Monday 19 July 2021

When I look at you, your manly gifts are small

Another weekend - and a particularly sultry and hot one, for a change - has melted away to nothingness, and here we are again, dear reader, at the cusp of another - ahem - fulfilling week of work...

Today is forecast to be even hotter than yesterday's remarkable temperatures, so that will no doubt make my mood even better as I sit at the desk in the living-room, seething at my inability to get cracking on the parched garden with the hose till later this evening.

All is not lost, dear reader. For - confusingly, since I thought her milestone was last year, but Wikipedia says otherwise - it is the 80th birthday today of one Florencia Bisenta de Casillas-Martinez Cardona, better known as one of our fave divas her at Dolores Delargo Towers, Señorita Vikki Carr!

On this Tacky Music Monday, I think it's appropriate to revisit an old fave of hers. I have no shame...

I'll always love that Scopitone video. So much camp, so little time!

Many happy returns, Vikki Carr (born 19th July 1941)!

10 comments:

  1. That's not really tacky - it's just deliciously sixties! Love the clothes and the boots!
    Too hot here, and I'm being pestered by Bluebottles - ugh.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The go-go boys always make me hoot!

      My themed choices for a Tacky Music Monday don't always have to be preposterous, but generally involve some odd choreography and/or unlikely settings and/or a smattering of "safety gays" if possible... Jx

      PS Our garden has more than its fair share of "shit-flies" alongside the lovely bees, hoverflies and butterflies, too. I think the splattered slug-and-snall corpses by the back gate (the aftermath of my efforts every night to save our poor plants from being ravaged) may be an attraction.

      Delete
  2. That choreographer is a gas gas gas! Man. Did this come out before West Side Story? Too much fun. I've never heard this song. Musically it makes so little sense. Adore. Thanks for sharing this. And in that photo - the first one? She has a very Olivia De Havilland look in her eyes and mouth... no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Carr only released her first singles and album in 1962, so West Side Story pre-dated her entire career. I imagine Jerome Robbins cringed at this effort, however... Jx

      Delete
  3. YEs, the dance moves also reminded me of some West Side Story dancing. I've never been one much for musicals, but I do like West Side story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's not to like? It's a classic! Heaven only knows why Spielberg decided to remake it... Jx

      PS I met Rita Moreno, you know! She's a lovely woman.

      Delete
    2. Get out! You met Rita Moreno. So jell. Adore her. And so talented. The last thing I saw her in... Oz? Can that be right?

      Delete
    3. She's been in dozens of films and shows I've never seen. Most likely, the last thing I saw her in was The Ritz (the DVD cover of which she autographed for me) or maybe The Rockford Files. Jx

      Delete
  4. As much as I adore Vikki Carr, this video is not the highlight of her career ! What on earth is she wearing in the opening shots ?
    But I could watch that boys 'legs' for hours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wacky world of Scopitones - bizarre sets, bizarre costumes and dancers-as-eye-candy... Is it any wonder we love them>! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]