Wednesday 4 January 2023

View it from here from closer to near

Sigh. I'm getting a bit tired of saying it, but "another piece of my formative years has gone".

Alan Rankine, the quiet-yet-sexy-one (inevitably in the background, behind the gorgeous and charismatic Billy MacKenzie [read my tribute to him from 2017]) in one of my obsessively-overplayed-bands-in-the-80s The Associates has also departed these shores, aged just 64. 'Tis a worrying trend.

By way of a tribute, let's just wallow, shall we, in the operatic majesty of Mr Rankine and Mr MacKenzie's magnum opus - one of my favourite songs ever!

RIP, Alan Rankine (17 May 1958 – January 2023)

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dropping like flies, dear. It's very sad that the fabric of everything that made the 1980s so great is beginning to fade away... Jx

      Delete
  2. I dislike the way the eighties is now viewed as the deep distant past - much the same way as we viewed the 1940's in the eighties!! Painful.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this track so much. Another sad loss
    he was very sexy in his own quiet way.
    and as Ms Scarlet says the 1980s is today what the 1940s was in the 80s and that is disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for the days of pointy-dancing, big hair and Tukka-boots. Tell that to the kids today, and they won't believe you... Jx

      Delete
  4. I'm losing some of my "old crew" like some people lose money. I'll have to start being friends with youngsters...oh wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Friends" usually implies meaningful conversation, and where youngsters are concerned it's like trying to speak to a creature from another planet. I am certain that people of my age now said exactly the same about me back in the '80s! Jx

      Delete
  5. Well, I think I'm a few shredded calendars ahead of you young whippersnappers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage." [quoth Indiana Jones] Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]