Sunday 9 June 2024

The delightful Miss Finkelstein

I'm having a pleasant Sunday (despite the grey, gloomy weather), basking in the happy memory of last night's magnificent production of Jerry's Girls at the Menier Chocolate Factory last night [more on that in due course, il va sans dire]. Surprisingly, given the fact that it doesn't seem to have warmed up sufficiently yet for this to be classed as any kind of "summer", the pots in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers were bone dry, so I watered all of them. Now, I've cracked open the cider...

Deep joy - we have a centenary to celebrate, and that neatly takes care of our "Sunday Music"! Miss Dolores Gray (for it is she), star of Kismet, smash-hit stage sensation (particularly here in the West End, where among her hits were Annie Get Your Gun, Gypsy and Follies), and all-round "va-va-voom girl" was born 100 years ago last Friday.

Here are just a few highlights from her career...

Dolores Gray (born Sylvia Dolores Finkelstein, 7th June 1924 – 26th June 2002)

[More Dolores here]

14 comments:

  1. That voice! Jack Cassidy! “Thanks a lot but no thanks” is a great production number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wonderful woman, and a wonderful repertoire of "our kind of music" - we love Dolores! And Jack. Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's where my nightie went! Miss Gray swiped it for Kismet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes - but do you spray your legs gold as well, Mr DeVice? We should be told... Jx

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love the ensemble she's wearing in that first picture! Not keen on the painted leg though. More attractive to be unpainted, but maybe that would have been considered too risqué at the time? I know not of such things.

    Congrats to her on surviving life this long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm, not quite "surviving" - she died in 2002.

      Nevertheless, her Kismet ensemble was a bit of a stunner! Talk about up-staging the film's star Ann Blyth... Jx

      Delete
  4. Thanks But No Thanks is one of my favorite musical numbers of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable and adored.
    "va-va-voom"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she may have been in our record cabinet. (Probably Dad's choice)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kismet was massively popular, so that doesn't surprise me. Jx

      Delete
  7. My dad had Kismet as well.
    I used to watch these old musicals and look forward to a time when I would wear fabulous frocks everyday. Bless!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]