Saturday 1 June 2024

Curry night?

The BBC Asian Network has announced the winner of of its poll of the Ultimate 90s Bollywood Song, and it would be curmudgeonly of me not to feature it. We are great Bollywood music fans, after all.

From the 1995 romantic comedy Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, starring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol [dubbed, of course, by proper playback singers], here's Tujhe Dekha To (When I saw you):

I much prefer this one, to be honest - but then again, it is rather earlier than the 1990s...

Sharmila Tagore, sung by Sharda - Leja leja leja mera dil [from An Evening in Paris, 1967]

Lamb Bhuna with pilau rice and a naan bread, anyone?

10 comments:

  1. I prefer the other one, too. And in just less than half an hour, my curry should arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t listen right now, so will do so tomorrow- I hope all curries were enjoyed!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy, busy, busy! It's all go down Torrington way, it seems...

      Jx

      PS We didn't actually have a curry night - yummy fish & chips instead!

      Delete
  3. Fish n chips here, too. But we did have a curry when we watched a tv re-run of 'The Second Best Marigold Hotel'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fitting accompaniment to that kind of movie! We need to dig out The Jungle Book for our next one 😀. Jx

      Delete
  4. Spectacular, spectacular!
    No words in the vernacular

    I thought the first one rather dull though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those "power ballads" that if it were in English would probably be in the domain of Whitney or Slime Dion, so not really our cup of tea... Jx

      Delete
  5. Poppadoms and chutney tray, onion bharji, saag paneer madras style, whatever rice is ready and a peshwari naan please, no mukhwas the bits get stuck in my teeth, though I wouldn't mind an After Eight and a brimful of Asha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow, dear Mitzi. Jx

      PS the food sounds lovely - although I've never had mukhwas, and I find paneer (a bit like halloumi) a bit "squeaky" on the teeth...

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]