Saturday 15 June 2024

Hot choons for a drab summer

The weather today is truly schizophrenic - one minute warm (if breezy) sunshine, thunderstorms the next... I was hoping to get some pottering done in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers - there are more small plants that need "potting on", and I want to move some pots around, to shift ones that have gone over out of the way and give prominence to some specimens that are going to keep the show going during what laughingly passes for "summer" - but it seems like every time I set foot outside, it goes dark again.

How about a selection of "newer" music that has caught my ear of late, to take our minds off it?!

Here's something that is indeed brand new, or is it? It's got a really familiar 80s vibe, and sounds like something else - but I can't quite put my finger on what:

A very welcome return to form for our Patron Saint of Tortured Torch Songs Mr Marc Almond - covering a Northern Soul [of course!] song I featured here back in February:

To my ear, this one sound like something Kylie might have thrown out during her time with Roc Nation - yet The Guardian's Barbara Ellen gushingly described it as the "song of the summer". We'll be the judge of that! The video's rather hot, however:

Speaking of hot... Veering off into Gay Pimp or Cazwell territory, Mr Todrick Hall's back - and he's on heat! [Thanks to Mistress Maddie for this one.]:

Another one that reminds me of something else [Format B - Chunky, as featured here, perhaps?] - here's yet another irresistibly catchy number from Monsieur Guetta:

Calming things down a tad, here's the beautiful new one from Pet Shop Boys, with Mr Tennant in a very retrospective mood indeed:

And, saving the best to last - memorably summed up by a commenter as "Eliza Day got resurrected and rode off into the sunset" - here's Our (aforementioned) Princess Kylie, in an inspired duet with a gay cowboy!

As ever, dear reader. let me know your thoughts...

14 comments:

  1. I really like "Save the Night" but don't think I can help with its sound-a-likey, except that it reminds me somewhat of The Weeknd's choons. Somewhat.
    Marc Almond's and PSB's offerings were okay, and "Espresso" was inoffensive.
    Todrick Hall is all style over substance, to me. I listened to it without watching the video first at Maddie's and was unimpressed, then watched the video and decided that the 'music' really needs the video, and even that didn't do it for me. (The David Guetta multiple multiplications effort didn't do it for me either.)

    So, Orville Peck & Kylie are my 'winners'! In fact, the song/video was one of my Top 10 (but not featured) in my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. My selection's not such a success at Hexenhausli DeVice this time, eh? Hey ho.

      I immediately thought "the UK's answer to The Weeknd" when I heard Mr Perretta's choon, but there's definitely another song lurking there somewhere.

      At least we're agreed (and I did see you mentioned it on your blog, but then played Willie) - that Kylie collaboration is utterly joyful! Love it. Jx

      Delete
  2. Great music. Currently over 31 in Fuengirola and over 36 closer to Málaga City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh. I know where I'd rather be...

      Glad you liked the selection, Mitch! Jx

      Delete
  3. 30C here and I've just come in from the garden, so your musical choices were refreshing along with the Aperol Spritz the MITM made for me, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss. Apart from the Aperol. I never liked Campari, and that's what it tastes like...

      We can only dream of 30C here at the moment - we've only just reached 20C. It's MID-summer next week, ffs! Jx

      Delete
  4. SO many good choices, that Sabrina Carpenter one IS very Kylie, and I always love Mr. Peck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I had heard of him - then lo and behold, Mr DeVice featured him on his blog this week, so now I know more about him. Still confused why the mask, though, since everyone knows who he is... Jx

      Delete
  5. A good list of music sweet cheeks!!!! I didn't even mind seeing Orville Peck, for once. I'm not a fan of him by any means. The weather here couldn't have been anymore beautiful today. Some gardening, some shopping, and some day cock-a-tails were in order.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, sweetie! I look forward to having some days that are warm enough to sit out and drink cocktails on the lanai... Jx

      Delete
  6. The first song's chorus sounds a bit like Steps with Michelle Visage, Heartbreak in This City. I like Marc Almond, the song is on form, sadly his voice isn't. The Pet Shop Boys have morphed into Gilbert and George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, yes, MItzi - you're on to something there...

      Marc's still got it, in my opinion - nothing like when he was younger, of course, but who is? [Not forgetting he had that terrible motorbike crash; it's taken him a long time to get over it.]

      Gilbert and George? Hahahahaha! Jx

      Delete
  7. Julian Perretta - Oh, okay - I like it better than I thought I would - yes a beat of familiarity from the 80s.
    Marc Almond - I thought this was going to be something else. Not his best!
    Sabrina Carpenter - Wishy-washy. Bit like the weather. Nice pastel toned video. Might be a grower.
    Todrick Hall - Nah.
    David Guetta - Irritating.
    Pet Shop Boys - A relief after David Guetta!! and I agree with Mitzi!! It's kind of wistful though.
    Orville and Kylie - Curious. Not my favourite of the bunch.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking them all out - at least there's a couple you liked. I think the Orville and Kylie one might well grow on you, too - it wasn't what I was expecting, but now I love it! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]