Wednesday 19 June 2024

Is this the Cocksucker residence?

The marvellous Miss Kathleen Turner celebrates her 70th birthday today! We've adored her since she triumphantly turned the Steve Martin movie The Man With Two Brains from, well, a Steve Martin movie into something much, much more memorable. Even Romancing the Stone was bearable mainly because she was in it... But it is for one magnificent character we love her the most.

Here is Miss Turner in (probably) her finest, and certainly most camp, role as "Beverly" in John Waters' Serial Mom, tormenting poor "Dottie Hinkle" (Mink Stole)...

Miss Turner has lately returned to her original great love, the stage. And here she is, singing in the play Mother Courage:

Unfortunately her Mother Courage never crossed the pond, and each time she's been in the West End we missed her - either in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? or Bakersfield Mist. Hopefully at some point we'll see her in a production - Serial Mom - the Musical, perhaps?!

Mary Kathleen Turner (born 19th June 1954)

12 comments:

  1. "Body Heat" 1981! Fantastic actress! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ALWAYS LOVED Kathleen Turner. The first thing I saw her in was Jewel on the Nile. But where I fell in love with her was when she did War of the Roses, of course her turn in Serial mom was fabulous. She certainly has not aged the best but I still adore her, and that Jack Daniels voice.

    Puzzzzzzy Willows ........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romancing the Stone was my introduction to Kathleen Turner (an end of term school trip to the cinema), and I've loved her in Jewel of the Nile, War of the Roses, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Friends (as Chandler's dad, Charles Bing) and, of course, Serial Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An awful lot of people first encountered her in Romancing the Stone. I remember seeing it, but it wasn't really my sort of thing. The Man With Two Brains, however, was an absolute hoot!! Jx

      Delete
  4. She raises everyone's game! Another huge fan of War of the Roses here!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't remember if I've seen that one either - I was in the midst of some bad relationship times back in 1989 when it was released, and if it was on telly, I don't remember it. Jx

      Delete
  5. Love her! I think my favorite was War of the Roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join Ms Scarlet's fan club, Mitch! Jx

      Delete
  6. 'The most normal, nicest woman you will ever find' That clip still makes me roar with laughter.
    Happy 70th Kathleen Turner. We adore you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does appear to be a down-to-earth character [although she's had more than her fair share of problems that led her into some difficult situations over the years]. All hail! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]